Sunday, January 27, 2008

WE THANK THEE O GOD FOR A PROPHET

I desperately looked for a way to upload the song "WE THANK THEE O GOD FOR A PROPHET", but unfortunately, I'm just not that computer savvy, so I hope it isn't disrespectful to use the song "Old and Wise", which is a song that reminded me of my Grandpa and came to my mind tonight.
I am sitting here at my computer overwhelmed with emotions. Of course, I knew we couldn't have President Hinckley here with us forever, but I had so hoped he'd be able to hang on until my kids were able to perform for him in person and hear him speak to them at our special temple celebration. That is going to happen sometime between May and July. They have so looked forward to that. The truth is, I was just as excited for myself since I'm YW president and also will be there. I feel so sad that that won't happen.

Along with my sadness, I feel such gratitude that we've had a prophet who loved us so much and loved our children so much. The things he's done are so inspired and he did everything with such love and frankness. For the Strength of Youth is such a blessing to our young people and I'm so thankful we've had a prophet so inspired. What a wonderful thing it has been to have a prophet with such a sense of humor. His conference talks felt more like a friend chatting with us in our living rooms. I loved that about him. What a wonderful leader we've had. I'm so thankful.
I'm so happy for him to be free of the frailties of an old body, even though he put so many of us to shame. What an example of faith he was to us as he endured to the end with strength, courage, humor and love.
What an example of love and eternal marriage. It makes me happy to think of the reunion he is having with his sweet wife, Marjorie.
I feel like I've lost a good friend. He will be so missed. I've loved him so much.
President Gordon B. Hinckley
June 23, 1910 - January 27, 2008


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet post. What a sweet man. Very somber morning. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa said...

what great pictures. thanks for your feelings on a great man.

Mindy said...

What a wonderful tribute! It makes me cry every time I think of how much I'll miss him...

Leslie said...

it IS so sad to see him leave this world... but i haven't even shed a tear for him yet, because i am just so happy he is with his wife. that is the only thing that i can think of is his joyous reunion with his wife.
love the photos.

Anonymous said...

I love your new color!!! The blue is great.

mudderandfodder said...

Thank you Karey for this wonderful tribute to our beloved President Hinckley. We love him and will miss him. He was such a great example of love, kindness, charity, friendship, and I could go on and on. A true disciple of Christ. I have no doubt that he was a true prophet. My testimony of his calling has been confirmed over and over. I remember the concert where he requested the performer to sing Danny Boy. the performers voice cracked and he seemed embarrassed. In the true President Hinckley way, he invited him to come and perform it again at another program and it was performed flawlessly. It is a great memory of the kind of person our prophet was.

I love all of your photos and comments. I love your family. Love, MOM H

100 Percent Cottam said...

thanks for your comment on my blog! i will second this. i loved president hinckley so much and will truly miss him!

Kristi said...

We love him so much. We will miss his sense of humor, his kindness, wisdom, and prophetic urgings to be better. Thanks for the tribute to such an amazing man.