We left just as school got out, drove to Bountiful and saw John and Tawnie's beautiful new baby. Drove on to Idaho and saw our house looking a little tired and overgrown. Oregon was beautiful. Hills covered with green and purple grasses. Pine trees. Beautiful farms, red barns, cows grazing.
Ben Lee singing "We're All in this Together," making me glad to be here with my family. Kids napping. Me napping. Travis driving and cracking jokes. Joe asking how much longer 'til we get there. A little talk radio. Peanut butter M & Ms.
Gas is getting cheaper. We see a sign that the powerball jackpot is 220 million. Travis asks what's the first thing we'd do if we won that much money. I say "pay off everyone in the family's houses." Bruce says, "Buy everyone new houses and get the schoolhouse for Grandpa and Grandma." Sounds like a good plan.
I want to read my book but the scenery is too pretty. Love seeing the trains, even the graffiti covered cars. Joe has read 14 chapters of White Fang. I'm enjoying the old-fashioned power lines--the ones that look like a man standing there holding the wires.
Bruce's graduation is happening right now. We're all glad we're here instead.
SATURDAY - Kids swimming. Ivar's fish and chips. Feeding seagulls. The market--flowers, Three Girls Bakery and more. Disappointed that they no longer make haystacks and smaller mounds cost more. Andre Lovett singing on the street. He's excellent.




(For Mehmet)SUNDAY - We drive around the city and look at some homes. Veronica has a bad cold. Road-raged, insane flipper-offer. Bags of fancies for breakfast. Challenge getting our parking taken care of, then a crazy taxi ride. Long lines, but finally on the ship.
Safety drill. Unpacking. Sign kids up for teen club and tween club. We read in the library. Delicious family dinner. Bruce can't be in teen club. Bummer. Tween club fun, but no girls in teen club. Bruce and Veronica join us for cheesy show, but Bruce gets called on the stage to participate so we're glad we went.
Safety drill. Unpacking. Sign kids up for teen club and tween club. We read in the library. Delicious family dinner. Bruce can't be in teen club. Bummer. Tween club fun, but no girls in teen club. Bruce and Veronica join us for cheesy show, but Bruce gets called on the stage to participate so we're glad we went.
MONDAY - Basketball. Savannah and Joe climb rock wall. Veronica meets girl from Lone Peak. Rocky Road ice cream on demand. Oh oh. Terrible comedian. I mean the worst. I wanted to boo. Beautiful scenery. Bruce and Travis place third in Sports Trivia. Joe wins survivor in kid's club. Veronica and new friend go to teen club and have fun. Bruce, Travis and I go to fun Majority Rules game.
TUESDAY - Juneau. We rent a car. Neat town. We hit a Wal-Mart and a laundramat for the necessities. Mendenhall glacier. Beautiful. Souvenirs. Drive around seeing the town. Sunny and warm. Ski wall entrance. Bruce tries the highly recommended Russian Dumplings. Lobster for dinner. Dance games in Kid's Club.






WEDNESDAY - Skagway. Very old-fashioned and cute and small. Hot! 85 degrees. Souvenirs. Triking down the 4 miles from the lookout. Fun pictures in panorama at the park. Discovered delicious pecan sticky buns on the ship. Golfing and suffleboard. Funny waiter asks Joe to pay the bill several times, even bringing him a fake bill at the end of the meal. He asks Joe for his room card to pay and asks for Joe's signature. Joe writes at the bottom of the bill: Never. The waiter can't stop laughing. Crossword puzzle with Bruce. Bruce entertains the room with his dance moves at a dance party. Fun juggling show. Too much food!







THURSDAY - Glacier Bay National Park. Over 3 million acres of incredible beauty. Calving glaciers. Stunning ice. Park ranger who said "I'd encourage you to..." at least 100 times during the few hours of narration. Breathtaking!



FRIDAY - Ketchikan. Interesting and charming town. Duck Tour. Eagles. Entertaining lumberjack show. Purchased a couple of pretty watercolors. The girls wanted some rings from a seller there. He started out at $20.00 each. The girls started to walk away so he offered to make them a deal. If they'd buy 10, he'd sell them for $7.00 each. They asked if he'd take $28 for 4 of them and he said, "Well, I don't know. How about 5 for $30?" I quickly agreed and we were on our way.
TUESDAY - Juneau. We rent a car. Neat town. We hit a Wal-Mart and a laundramat for the necessities. Mendenhall glacier. Beautiful. Souvenirs. Drive around seeing the town. Sunny and warm. Ski wall entrance. Bruce tries the highly recommended Russian Dumplings. Lobster for dinner. Dance games in Kid's Club.





WEDNESDAY - Skagway. Very old-fashioned and cute and small. Hot! 85 degrees. Souvenirs. Triking down the 4 miles from the lookout. Fun pictures in panorama at the park. Discovered delicious pecan sticky buns on the ship. Golfing and suffleboard. Funny waiter asks Joe to pay the bill several times, even bringing him a fake bill at the end of the meal. He asks Joe for his room card to pay and asks for Joe's signature. Joe writes at the bottom of the bill: Never. The waiter can't stop laughing. Crossword puzzle with Bruce. Bruce entertains the room with his dance moves at a dance party. Fun juggling show. Too much food!






THURSDAY - Glacier Bay National Park. Over 3 million acres of incredible beauty. Calving glaciers. Stunning ice. Park ranger who said "I'd encourage you to..." at least 100 times during the few hours of narration. Breathtaking!Delicious lamb, pecan pie, mousse and scallops. Travis, Bruce and I took 2nd place in Olympic trivia. Very funny 2nd City Comedy group. 2nd place in True/False trivia (There is a limit of 4 per team, but we keep losing to a family with four playing, but about eight more "watching"--pretty fishy). Can't take Andy the cruise director. Shuffleboard, basketball, pirate fun, photo scavenger hunt, library, gameroom where we play a really dumb game of Office Trivia.




FRIDAY - Ketchikan. Interesting and charming town. Duck Tour. Eagles. Entertaining lumberjack show. Purchased a couple of pretty watercolors. The girls wanted some rings from a seller there. He started out at $20.00 each. The girls started to walk away so he offered to make them a deal. If they'd buy 10, he'd sell them for $7.00 each. They asked if he'd take $28 for 4 of them and he said, "Well, I don't know. How about 5 for $30?" I quickly agreed and we were on our way.2nd place in 80's trivia--Again. Hilarious improv show from 2nd City group. Chocolate buffet. Beautiful weather. Another crossword.




This eagle was real. I promise!


SATURDAY - Slept in late. Animal towel folding demonstration. Second City improv workshop. We laughed so hard I almost had an accident. They were my favorite part of the entertainment by far. Good juggling show. Crossword with Bruce. Last dinner in Summer Palace.




This eagle was real. I promise!


SATURDAY - Slept in late. Animal towel folding demonstration. Second City improv workshop. We laughed so hard I almost had an accident. They were my favorite part of the entertainment by far. Good juggling show. Crossword with Bruce. Last dinner in Summer Palace. Victoria. Carriage ride and bus tour. Beautiful city! Incredible architecture. Gorgeous homes. One of the prettiest cities I've ever seen. Last evening with Joe and Veronica's cruise friends.

SUNDAY - So sad! It's over. Easy exit. Really wish the week was just starting. Wish we'd gotten more pictures with the kids' friends. Raining in Seattle - the only city we didn't have sunshine.

SUNDAY - So sad! It's over. Easy exit. Really wish the week was just starting. Wish we'd gotten more pictures with the kids' friends. Raining in Seattle - the only city we didn't have sunshine.Some final thoughts as we go home:
I'm actually glad Bruce couldn't go to the Teen Club. We loved doing more things with him. Loved all the family time--activities, meals, games, shows. So many fun memories with no blow-ups, everyone laughing together and having fun. A fantastic week.
On the way home we visited for a couple of hours about funny memories and experiences, impersonations of people we met, things we'll miss, etc. So glad we went!


8 comments:
Wow! Looks and sounds like an amazing trip. What great memories, how nice that you could do that before Bruce heads off to college and on his mission. As I read through I was thinking the trip was going too fast. Welcome home!
spectacular scenery. sounds like the cruise kept you entertained too. i'm glad you got to do this and make such fun memories with your family. i'm wondering what kind of a person gets hired as the cruise director? was julie the cruise director on love boat? or who?
Yes, Julie was the cruise director on The Love Boat. In our case, our cruise director was a very annoying, attention-hogging, flamboyant guy and he was beyond irritating.
Holy Cow! You did so much in one trip. I am jealous. I am glad you were able to get your big trips in before the kids start to leave home.
I am glad you had so much fun.
Love you guy. See you soon!
Looks like you had a TON of fun! I would love to go on a cruise someday! That's great that the whole family could go. I'm sure you made a lot of good memories! I loved seeing the pictures. :)
ok, i really like travis's 'jason mraz' hat that he wore during the trip.
in that one photo that is small, was bruce's mouth open as though that big fake bird is going to feed him?
i LOVE cruises. if you haven't been on one, you just can't understand how amazing it is for the price. they feed you so much, they have so many activities to do... and it is just so worth the money. and the waiters you get while there... it is almost worth the money just bonding with the waiter that serves you ever night. they become your best friend and they are entertainment enough. love that.
i am so glad you got to get all of these trips done before bruce leaves home.
i liked bruce's idea for if he won the lottery... buying the schoolhouse for mom and dad is a great idea. i wish any of us had enough money to do that. maybe the city of walsburg should just reclaim it as an eyesore and give it to the higginson family... who they know will take better care of it. :)
love you guys. glad you made it home safely.
Looks like you had a lot of fun! I love cruises and can't wait to go on another one!
Karey-
What an awesome trip!!! I loved all your pictures. The glaciers are amazing!! You have such a neat family!! I will miss you!!
Post a Comment