
Bruce, my first child, turns sixteen today. Hard to believe he's reached this milestone already. Time moves much too quickly. It seems so recent that he was just a smiling little baby and now he's a man. Part of me is sad. I'd like him to slow down because I feel the days rushing by like a wild wind and I know he'll be gone WAY too soon. Another part of me is so pleased with the great young man he is and the wonderful person he's becoming.

I love that Bruce is smart in so many ways. While some other mothers complain to me about how poorly their kids are doing in school, I feel grateful for his hard work and excellent grades. He's planning for his future, preparing for college and a career. He talks about his mission and post-mission plans. He doesn't get caught up in the day-to-day drama of so many teens. He's focused. It is such a blessing. He has his flaws. His room gets cleaned only occasionally and at any given time, 5-10 towels can be found on his bedroom floor, but those are minor in the big picure.

I love Bruce's sense of humor. He's clever, creative and witty. He's almost always pleasant to be around, and the great thing is, he doesn't mind hanging out with his family. He's not always asking to go somewhere. He loves watching mysteries with Travis and me. He is happy to take a drive with us and look at architecture and real estate. He draws funny pictures. He's a champion "dot game" player during sacrament meeting. He fills in and teaches his teacher's quorum when the teacher fails to show up. He smiles easily. His brother and sisters think he's great. He willingly helps with the math that is too advanced for Travis and me. He makes Veronica feel great by asking her to make "the best snickerdoodles in the world."

Bruce is talented. He draws, plays piano, and loves all sports. He provides us with tons of entertainment. I am so thankful to have a son like Bruce. When Travis blessed him as a baby, one of the things that stood out in my mind was a reminder that it was important for him to set a good example to his siblings that would look up to him. He is doing that. Happy birthday, Bruce. I love you!
11 comments:
This is JOHN. Happy Birthday Bruce.
Your Mom wrote some great things about you. Are they all true?
I can't believe you are 16 already. Congratulations. It is a blessing to your mom and dad that you are such a good kid.
We love you, and hope you have a great day today.
Love,
John (and family)
P.S. Are you a "Sweet 16"?
Yeah! I am the first one out in cyberspace to give you special wishes on your special day. Soooo (drum roll please) "HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRUCE DEAR! HAPPY DAYS WILL COME TO YOU ALL YEAR! IF I HAD ONE WISH THEN IT WOULD BE! A HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR FROM ME (GRANDMA H.)" Have a great day Bruce. You are a great kid and we are very pleased with your dedication to family, church, school, etc. Thanks for keeping the important things in perspective and for setting a great example for your siblings as well as all of your cousins. We love you so much. Grandma and Grandpa Higginson
Oh no!! it looks like John aced me out while I was typing my comment. John, don't you have anything to do at work??? (-:
Wow Bruce. I've always seen there is a great guy in you. It is wonderful to hear these day to day things about you.
You are a good guy! And 16?!! Wow!! It just seems like yesterday that I met you at Grandma and Grandpas house. You were just a little guy.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
We love you!
Unbelievable!!! I can't believe you are 16 years old. No driving allowed right? I still remember the day you were born, I always know how old you are..........20 years minus one day, younger than myself. Have a very happy birthday. You are a great young man. We all love you. Lori and Family
What a tender posting. It was neat to hear more about Bruce and to get to know him better. I also think Bruce is a neat kid and enjoy being around him. Keep up the good work Bruce. Happy birthday and we love you. Stella says Happy Birtday Bruce with a big smile on her face.
Happy birthday Bruce. 16 huh? Big Gulps huh?
You have already been able to drive though right? Does that make it anti-climactic? 16 is still a biggie in my book.
I am bummed that you guys live so far away. It keeps us from seeing you grow from a kid into a guy, and keeps us from seeing all of your many accomplishments. Happy Birthday. We'll see you soon.
Kristi
Happy Birthday, Bruce! What a great tribute, Karey... he sounds like a great kid! I hope my boys turn out so well.
Wow...are you already 16, Bruce? Thanks for the heads up...we'll make sure we steer clear of driving in Idaho for a while.
Well, happy birthday Bruce. You know...only cool people have birthdays in December.
We think you're a great kid, Bruce. We wish you guys were closer becaused our children also think you're pretty cool.
Have a great birthday, and we hope to see you soon.
Love, Nairn & Maria, Nairn O., Jacob, Lauren, Daniel, Allison, & Ethan
Happy Birthday Bruce! From the laggards...(those of us who are slow to catching on to doing things...:)). Love ya! Teresa, Robert, and Zach
Post a Comment