Saturday, February 2, 2008

Our Personal President Hinckley Experience

We enjoyed the funeral of President Hinckley today. Many shared their own personal experiences with this wonderful man. I'd like to share ours.
When Bruce was 2 1/2 years old (just before President Hinckley was made President of the church), my Dad worked at the church office building. We had gone in to see him and ended up riding the elevator with then Elder Hinckley.
"What a cute little boy," he said.
"Thank you," we said.
"What is your name? No, don't tell me. I'm pretty good at guessing names. Hmm, is it Steven?"
"No, it's Bruce," we said.
"Well, Bruce is a good name, too."
He was kind and funny. Bruce says he's considered naming a son Steven because of the story. It would be a great story for how you got your name.
We will miss President Hinckley, but look forward to wonderful things from President Monson.

9 comments:

Leslie said...

no fair. i never got to meet president hinckley. one of his distant cousins was my mission president though. his name was also president hinckley.

Lisa said...

what a cool story. lucky! thank you for sharing...oh! and 'steven' has a nice ring to it.

Scott / Lori said...

What a cute story for Bruce! How neat to have an exchange like that. Scott has a brother named Steven. It is a pretty good name, I think. We will miss him! Love you.

Vicki said...

I loved that story! Thanks for sharing it! :-)

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki said...

Sorry, I accidentally posted the same thing twice, so I deleted one. :-|

Mindy said...

What a fun sense of humor President Hinckley had!

Anonymous said...

Cute picture and great memory. That would be so cute to name him Steven (or even middle name).

Kristi said...

That is funny. It reminds me of What About Bob. Bob guesses the names of Dr. whatever-his-name-is's family. All of them wrong. I really like that story. Steven has a ring to it.
Thanks for sharing. I wish I had a story to share or had even seen the funeral, or gone to the viewing!
I am out of the loop.
Love you guys.